Lash Extension Aftercare: How to Maintain Your Beautiful Lashes
Lash extensions enhance the appearance of your natural lashes, making them look longer, thicker, and more voluminous. Proper aftercare is crucial in maintaining the longevity and beauty of your lash extensions. In this article, we will go over everything you need to know about lash extension aftercare to ensure your lashes look their best for as long as possible.
Proper Aftercare for Your Lash Extensions
The first 24 hours after your lash extension treatment are the most important for ensuring the longevity of your lashes. During this time, you should avoid getting your lashes wet, as this can cause the bond of the extensions to become weak. This means no to:
- saunas/hot tubs
- opening the dishwasher or oven close to your face
- using any makeup or oils on your lashes.
After the first 24 hours, you can resume your normal activities, but it’s important to continue to avoid using any oils or makeup on your lashes. You should also avoid using any eyelash curlers, as these can damage your lashes and promote breakage.
Maintaining Your Lash Extensions
To maintain your lash extensions, it’s important to follow a few simple steps:
- Brush your lashes daily to organize them. Use a clean mascara wand or a lash brush to gently brush through your lashes. Normally they will need to be brushed a couple times a day and most often in the morning when you wake up.
- Use a gentle lash cleanser. Avoid using harsh cleansers or makeup removers on your lashes, as this can weaken the adhesive bond. Instead, use only an approved lash extension cleanser on your lashes to ensure maximum retention. We only recommend cleansers that we carry in studio, as we know they work and they are formulated specifically for lash extensions & the delicate eye area.
- Avoid rubbing, picking or pulling at your lashes. Rubbing your eyes can cause your lashes to fall out or become loose. Use a gentle touch in a downward motion when removing makeup or cleaning your eyes.
- Keep your lashes conditioned. Use a lash serum to keep your lashes moisturized and healthy. This will help to prevent breakage and keep them looking full for longer. We carry Adoreyes lash serum.
When to Touch-Up Your Lash Extensions
Lash extensions typically last 2-4 weeks before needing to be filled or replaced. To ensure your lashes always look their best, it’s important to schedule your touch-up appointments every 2-4 weeks and we recommend pre-booking your fills as far in advance as you can, particularly if you require eving on weekend spots, as those are our most coveted!
Additional Tips for Lash Extension Aftercare
In addition to the steps outlined above, there are a few additional tips that can help to maintain the beauty of your lashes after a lash extension treatment:
- Be gentle when removing makeup.
- Avoid sleeping on your stomach or side as much as possible. The friction can cause the extensions to fall off prematurely.
- Use a lash growth serum. A lash growth serum can help to strengthen and nourish your natural lashes, helping to prevent breakage and promote growth.
- Avoid using oil-based products near the lashes. Oil-based products can prevent the adhesive from working as it should. Even oil in hair products can have an effect if not used carefully. Instead, use oil-free products or those specifically designed for use with lash extensions.
- Avoid heat and steam, like from an oven, dishwasher, hot shower, hot tub etc. Exposure to heat and steam can cause the extensions to lose their shape or fall off prematurely. Be sure to keep your face away from heat sources such as hair dryers and straighteners.
- Avoid wearing mascara on the extensions. Wearing mascara can damage your extensions and make them look clumpy. It also is very difficult to clean properly and can promote the growth of unwanted organisms! In some cases, it may be OK to use mascara minimally to precisely touch up certain areas when you are nearing your fill appointment, like the outer or inner corner. Only use a water-based, oil-free mascara specifically designed for use with lash extensions (carried in studio).
- If you notice any irritation or discomfort, give us a call right away as lashes should be comfortable. They should never pinch, or hurt and most clients don’t even notice that they’re wearing them!