Want to know how to take care of your lash extensions?
Now that you have your beautiful lash extensions, you will need to follow some simple lash aftercare rules to keep them looking their best. Once you’re home from your appointment, you’ll need to follow some basic steps to ensure longevity of your lash extensions as well as the health of your natural lashes.
Your Lash Aftercare Homework:
- It is OK to get your extensions wet in the first 24 hours, but avoid high temperatures like a hot shower or hot yoga. Exposing your new extensions to these conditions such as steam, sauna, hot tub, could result in poor retention.
- Keep your extensions and eyelids clean. Clean them gently, as instructed by your lash technician, and use a designated lash cleanser. Bodily oils that travel onto your extensions will break down adhesive if not removed by cleaning. Failure to clean your lashes will not only result in poor retention, but the build up of bacteria can lead to eye infections.
- Do not use cotton swabs, pads, or towels to clean your lashes and lids, as lint can snag or catch. Instead, use our fabulous Lash Cloths which are super absorbent and will wick away water like magic while not snagging your lashes or leaving lint on them.
- Keep oil based products away from direct contact with your extensions and limit the use of oil-based products on your face and hair as much as possible. Oil breaks down the lash adhesive. In some cases it may be necessary to avoid oil-containing products all together.
- Brush your extensions several times a day to keep them neat, tidy and uniform.
- Do not pick or pull at your extensions. The adhesive, though safe to use around eyes, is extremely strong and you could unintentionally pull out your natural lashes.
- Do not sleep on your face. Constant friction on the lashes will eventually lead to weakened adhesive bonds between your natural lash and the extension. (Fun fact: your technician can usually tell what side you sleep on by noticing which eye has less lashes on it when you return for your fill.)
- Always return to your technician for a removal or let them grow out naturally. Never attempt to remove the extensions yourself.
- Always arrive with clean extensions to your fill appointment. Unclean extensions could require a lot of your technician’s time to prep for your fill, which means less time is available for the rest of your appointment. This means cleaning with an approved lash cleanser immediately before your appointment to ensure there is no oil, dirt or makeup. This will ensure your lash artist has a clean canvas to work on which means better retention! Water alone does not clean lashes.
- For best retention of your extensions, make sure to use aftercare products specifically designed for eyelash extensions. Your lash artist can make recommendations. Our favorite line of lash aftercare comes from Canadian company Misencil.
Remember, just like nails your natural lashes grow, so they will need a maintenance appointment after 2-3 weeks if you wish to keep them looking their best. Book your fill here.
So there you have it! Follow these easy lash aftercare steps to keep your eyelash extensions looking their best and lashing as long as they possibly can.